Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tired of the Jones'

Why am I looked down upon because we don't own a Wii or don't wear the most fashionable clothes or don't sign our daughters up for all of the traveling sports teams?
I do not let my daughters watch an abundance of TV. I insist that they play outside when possible. I prefer neighborhood games to organized sports. My values are obviously not the same as 99% of the population of this town. I believe in the simple things in life: good friends, food to eat, and energy to do what needs to be done.
I'm tired of seeing all of our daughters' friends keeping of with Jones' and looking down on us because we don't.
I want our daughters to succeed in academics first and sports second. Too bad the majority of their friends have the opposite goal.
I don't have any real friends in this town. This is due to the fact that I'm about 10 years older than all other parents of the 3rd grade and kindergarten students. I grew up in a different era than all other parents. Thus, my values are from the 70's and 80's. I grew up having to work for everything I earned. I grew up having to work in the garden and can the veggies and fruits that were grown.
Would I have been a happier person had I lived in the early 1900's? My daughter's teachers would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment